My PLN and Inclusion

• How diverse is your existing PLN?
  • My current PLN is not particularly diverse. Most of my PLN are my classmates and friends, as well as some friends on the Internet. Most of these friends have the same hobbies as me, so maybe the topics we interact most frequently cannot be separated from those we are interested in, such as music, movies, and so on. Sometimes I think it is good that PLN is not diverse, which will make my social life easier and more enjoyable. But at the same time, I will know more people when I go to UVIC, and maybe my PLN will change. In addition, through social media contacts, I also learned more information on the Internet, such as what happened in other cities.
  • In your PLN, are you learning from a variety of voices or are you the loudest in the room?
  • I am a relatively quiet person in my PLN, especially in an environment that is not very familiar, such as some discussions in the classroom. I may seldom express my views and suggestions, and more often I am a listener. On the contrary, facing people or things I know well, I will actively express my views and discuss with my friends, which can also enhance our friendship.
  • Do you participate in a silo of information sharing (similar themes or wide-range of interests?)
  • I mainly participate in Weibo, for example, about my favorite stars, favorite movies and TV series, and so on. Most of the time I just see and learn people’s ideas, and rarely publish or share them. Fortunately, I can learn many different perspectives to enrich my experience.
  • How can you use a diverse PLN to broaden your views of inclusion?
  • I think this course provides me with a good way to broaden my understanding of inclusiveness. By expanding our PLN and participating in more discussions, we can gain a lot of new perspectives and different understandings. If we just keep discussing in an environment with the same ideas, we may not make much progress. In fact, visiting the blogs of many classmates through this course allowed me to see a lot of different ideas, which made me think more.
  • In your professional setting of choice, do you think inclusion is actively embraced?
  • My future job may be in the field of economics and finance. I think that inclusiveness is growing rapidly. Nowadays, business is not limited to entrepreneurs. As long as you are interested in the economy, or want to know the relevant knowledge, or you passed the exam in this area. You can share learning experience and communicate with others.
  • What is the learning outcome of your PLN and how are you ensuring your exposure to diversity and inclusion?
  • The result of my PLN learning is that I need to work hard to expand my PLN diversity. Relatively speaking, my PLN is quiet, which means that some of the content in my PLN does not work. I am only learning by myself and rarely participate in some discussions. Fortunately, some courses require me to join different groups in Reddit or Discord. I can get access to inclusive and diverse content. In the future, I hope that I can participate in class discussions more actively.
  • How has your thinking about inclusion and PLN evolved after reviewing the videos and readings?
  • Through this week’s videos and reading materials, my understanding of inclusion and diversity in learning has increased a lot. I used to think that inclusiveness is just accepting all the suggestions and opinions, but in fact it is more than that. Inclusionis to recognize and accept that every student is unique, and to create more possibilities through these diversity.

Image by geralt

Reference

Moore, Shelley. One Without the Other : Stories of Unity Through Diversity and Inclusion, Portage & Main Press, 2017. ProQuest Ebook Central, http://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/uvic/detail.action?docID=4832579.

1. juliacelinski

I agree with your reflection about inclusion and diversity, because i felt the same way. I had the same prior understanding of inclusion, and through reading the article became much more informed.